Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Buy This! - December 28th, 2011


Every Monday Seth picks out three items that are due to ship on Wednesday and directs you toward your best bets for a quality purchase. Some times it's a single issue of a comic, other times a massive omnibus edition of a beloved series, and occasionally a figure or shiny bauble that caught his eye. Read on to find the three items you shouldn't leave your comic shop without this week.

Sooo, that happened. Another Christmas has come and gone and left me with a bunch of trinkets and baubles I didn't have before it came. I received a very cool Knight (of Knight and Squire fame) action figure and the first volume of the Flash by Geoff Johns omnibus courtesy of my girlfriend, as well as a talking Boba Fett helmet... which I've worn far too much for a grown man. I wrapped up Christmas by going to the comic store yesterday and was dismayed to discover they weren't running any sales so I bought my pulls and a couple older trades and called it a day. I have to say, all in all I got very little in the way of comics this year. Maybe it's my relatives trying to tell me to grow up or something...

This week's pulls should be hitting on Wednesday as usual but I'm hearing rumblings that some shops won't have new comics till Thursday. I know, it makes no sense since essentially all the major shipping avenues were open Monday but, there it is. In the way of housekeeping, the TMNT micro series continues this week with the Michaelangelo spotlight that I picked for my Buy This column a few weeks ago. Also, it's not there anymore but I hope some of you managed to snag that Rocketeer Adventures hardcover from Thwipster while it lasted. Mine should be arriving in the next two days.



As usual anything I pick for the column this week is subject to the whims of the publisher and/or Diamond or your local store owner.


American Vampire #22:


I read AV in hardcover but if I was a monthly kinda guy I'd make sure to grab this issue. Scott Snyder made his name on American Vampire and if you haven't given it a look yet you're really missing out. It's not just a well-written horror/adventure story but a gorgeously illustrated one by Rafael Albuquerque as well. This issue kicks off a new storyline set in the 1950's. That has me excited for a number of reasons, not the least of which is seeing the horrific vampire action set against the styles and atmosphere of the 50's backdrop. Snyder may be making waves in the DCU but this is his baby and it shows with every issue. Grab the two hardcovers currently available and get onboard with this issue.


Chase tpb: 

Chase is a character (and short lived series) created by J.H. Williams before he became THE J.H. Williams. I'm highlighting this book mostly due to word-of-mouth and the talent involved. I've never had any prior experience with the character or the series. This trade paperback contains all 9 issues of the series as well as later appearances in books like Batman, and it's nearly 400 pages. With Williams' art serving as the real draw here I'm also impressed by the roster of other artists involved including Walking Dead's Charlie Adlard. This should be worth a buy if only to see Williams working on a character he had such a hand in creating and one who obviously meant a great deal to him. She's since shown up in issues of Batwoman.


X-Men Schism HC:


I do most of my X-Men reading in collected form and this book has been one that I've found hard to wait on. Not only does it serve as a the impetus for the X-Men relaunch, and a lead-in to the only X-title I buy monthly, Wolverine and the X-Men, but it's written by Jason Aaron and Kieron Gillen and has guys like Carlos Pacheco and Frank Cho handling the art chores. The post-Schism X-universe stuff has been pretty phenomenal and I'm excited to read the book that kicked it all off.

That does it for another week. If you've got some money to spare go back and check out some issues of Moriarty on Comixology. It's a well-written, adventure/mystery story set within the Sherlock Holmes storyverse. Just wanted to throw that suggestion out there...

Till next week, enjoy your haul.

No comments:

Post a Comment