Monday, March 19, 2012

Buy This! - March 21st, 2012

 Every Monday Seth picks out three items that are due to ship on Wednesday and directs you toward your best bets for a quality purchase. Some times it's a single issue of a comic, other times a massive omnibus edition of a beloved series, and occasionally a figure or shiny bauble that caught his eye. Read on to find the three items you shouldn't leave your comic shop without this week.


After the shocking amount of big-name titles that shipped last week I was a little disappointed to find a relatively light week ahead of us. I suppose my wallet will be grateful for the break though. It took me a lot longer to pick titles this week than it has for past columns. I poured through every publisher hoping to find something that would match the excitement of the creator-owned releases of last week like Glory #24, Peter Panzerfaust #2, Saga #1 or Saucer Country #1. While I do spotlight a creator owned title there is nothing that reaches that level of build up. The big two have some of their premier books shipping this week but, in case you couldn't tell, I like to leave single issues of the upper-tier titles out of the column. Its' not like they need the help.

So with nothing too massive hitting your shelves this week I just picked three titles that appeal to me for whatever reason. None of these are really "buzz" books but they at least piqued my interest. 


I did want to give a mention to something that has me incredible excited that was announced at WonderCon this past weekend. Namely, that Mark Waid is writing a Rocketeer four issue mini series to be drawn by... Chris Samnee. This has me giddy. Samnee is quickly becoming one of my favorite new artists and Waid is and has been one of my favorite writers for some time. Not to mention I just picked up that Dave Stevens Rocketeer hardcover and the hardcover collection of the Rocketeer Adventures anthology that IDW released earlier this year. This news hit me at just the right time. 

With that out of the way I'll add my usual disclaimer that these titles are all pulled from the Comixology site and therefore are subject to not ship this week... or for weeks, months or even years from now. Comics, ladies and gentlemen.


Rocketeer Adventures 2, #1:

As stated in the preamble, I'm in full Rocketeer fanboy mode right now so obviously this was going to make the list. The last Rocketeer anthology had it's fair share of top talent involved, with names like Darwyn Cooke, Mark Waid, and John Cassaday. This first issue doesn't come close to topping the artists on issue one of the last series but Bill Sienkiewicz, Stan Sakai, Marc Guggenheim, Peter David and Arthur Adams are all present here. Meanwhile Darwyn Cooke is handling covers. This first issue should be, like the last series, a series of fun, short stories written and drawn by some of the biggest names in the field of comics that pay homage to one of the greats; Dave Stevens. Look for this to be collected in a lovely hardcover collection down the road as well. Pick which format you'll be buying it in carefully. The last series was collected in a nice little hardcover but was sadly, not deluxe or oversized and the price was fairly high for a collected edition. If you don't want to wait till late this summer (or later) to read this series, then get onboard with the floppies.





Hoax Hunters #0:

Another week, another Image #1 title. This week's is Hoax Hunters and it's actually a #0 issue. I hate the concept of the zero issue as a thing that exists so I'll refer to this as issue one. The series revolves around a reality tv program that supposedly debunks the world's "bizarre secrets" while actually covering them up. In this series apparently things like cryptids, little green men, and monsters actually exist. While I feel like the reality tv angle is played out, I'm also a die-hard fan of the "weird" and this series nails a bunch of my favorite areas of interest. While I don't know anything about the creators of this title (Michael Moreci, Steve Seeley and artist (JM Ringuet) Image has been on a series win-streak lately and I'm willing to give the publisher the benefit of the doubt on this one. 

John Carter: Gods of Mars #1:
I have to admit this pick has as much to do with my love affair with the Princess of Mars movie (or "John Carter" as Disney decided to call it) as it does with the book itself. However I was pleasantly surprised to see the names involved with this five issue mini; Sam Humphries is writing and Ramon Perez is handling art chores. While those names aren't particularly huge yet, give 'em another year and you'll know them far better. Humphries is the new oncoming writer for the Ultimates and Perez was the man behind the gorgeous visuals of Archaia's Tale of Sand hardcover. Not to mention this is a graphic novel translation of one tale of one of the greatest sci-fi series in history. This may end up being the only time I ever list an adaptation in my column but the names involved in it's creation have me cautiously optimistic that this could be something really special.

No comments:

Post a Comment