Monday, November 21, 2011

Buy This! - November 23rd, 2011


Every Monday Seth picks out three items that are due to ship on Wednesday and directs you toward your best bets for a quality purchase. Some times it's a single issue of a comic, other times a massive omnibus edition of a beloved series, and occasionally a figure or shiny bauble that caught his eye. Read on to find the three items you shouldn't leave your comic shop without this week.

It's Thanksgiving week and therefore I'm writing up a longer edition of the Buy This column in celebration. Instead of the usual three items I normally toss at you I'm writing about five, and probably will write a wee bit more than usual about those five titles. 

First things first, I want to state that when writing this column I use my Comixology Pull List app. While it rarely gives me misinformation as to what items are coming out it sadly does often miss the boat on exactly WHEN those items will arrive. Such is the case with the Locke & Key one shot that I listed in last week's Buy This. It was labelled as hitting shelves last week and imagine my surprise when it was no where to be found at my local shop. Thankfully, it should be available this week so make sure to pick it up, and feel free to consult last weeks column to find out why I think it is worth your cash money.

Also, if you have any thoughts on how I should be formatting or compiling this column feel free to comment below. Currently I'm picking out a mere three things because, lets face it, none of us are made of money, and many of us already have weekly pull lists to pick up. I don't want to put more on you than your wallet can bear. However, if you want to see more than just three things or you want to see toys or clothes listed let me know.

Okay, enough house keeping. Lets get to it.
 
Blade of Kumori tpb

Back in 2004 I was enamored with all things Devils Due. I loved their GI Joe series and was trying to sample as much from their fledgling line as I could. This book was a part of that line and though I never got to read much of it I did manage to pick up the first couple issues and remember enjoying it. Written by Ron Marz and drawn by Mark Poulton it has a distinctly cool, Asian influence but manages to avoid becoming an Anime-clone. I remember some fun action sequences in the first issue and a story that hooked me. I only hope that someone eventually publishes some of the other DD books that were out at the same time.


Batman: The Black Mirror HC

This is, arguably, the book that really put Scott Snyder on the map. Sure he was writing killer stuff like American Vampire before this but Detective Comics is where he proved his chops. Sadly this hardcover only collects the first half of his run, and at almost 30 bucks that seems like... well, a bit of a rip off. If it was any other story I'd say wait for the eventual trade paperback but this book is worthy of a hardcover. With art by Jock and Francesco Francavilla it's as well-illustrated as it is fantastically written. Who knows, maybe one day they'll put Snyder's Detective Comics run in an Absolute edition. I'd scoop that up in a heartbeat.

Shade #2

I thought the first issue of this series was the best work James Robinson has done since his return to DC Comics. His Starman book is one of my all time favorite series and his early days on the JSA are amongst the best pure superhero comics ever written. While his recent work on JLA and Superman left a lot to be desired, Shade #1 was a return to form for Robinson. If you're a fan of the Shade character (which I am) this series is a must. Likewise if you're into wonderful art. This issue is illustrated by former Starman artist Tony Harris, the previous was illustrated by Cully Hamner and an upcoming issue is drawn by Darwyn Cooke. Might as well add this to your pull list. At 12 issues, if you decide to wait for the hardcover you'd better have an awful lot of patience.


Super Dinosaur tpb

I don't know anything about this book to be perfectly honest. What I do know is this; it's about a crime-fighting dinosaur and it's nicely drawn and cleverly written... according to reviewers. While I've been sour on Robert Kirkman's writing of late the word of mouth on this has been positive and the concept appeals to my inner 8 year old. Speaking of which, this is an all-ages book. Make of that what you will...


Fantastic Four #600

The only Marvel title I've kept on my pull list since I started one back in 2002 is Fantastic Four. Guys like Mark Waid, Dwayne McDuffie, and Mark Millar have been writing great sci-fi stories on this title for years. After Millar and Bryan Hitch's run ended this Jonathan Hickman guy came along and turned everything up to 11. I'd never have expected it but Hickman's FF (the title and the characters) areas strong now as when I started reading in middle of Mark Waid and Mike Wieringo's seminal run. While the characters have been starring in the Hickman-penned FF book this issue is the relaunch of the Fantastic Four title proper. Artists like Leinil Yu, Farel Dalrymple and Steve Epting are onboard for this 104 page giant sized issue and it looks like Human Torch may be returning just in time for the team's 50th anniversary.

No comments:

Post a Comment